Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tricks of the Trade - Kiting

Simply put kiting is using range to mitigate the damage that your opponent is doing to you. To do this effectively in PvP several conditions must be met...

1. You must be able to prevent your enemy from warping away.
2. You must be faster/more maneuverable then your opponent.
3. Your damage must be less affected by the range then your opponent.

If you have all three of those conditions then you can 'Kite' the opponent.

A classic example of this would be a fight I had in a Stabber against a blaster fitted Vexor. By setting my orbit to around 15km I was able to keep safely out of blaster range while keeping him within the falloff of my barrage loaded autocannons. I was even able to keep his medium Hammerhead II drones from getting close enough to kill me The hard part was managing my cap since I was not stable with the MWD on.

So the next time you find yourself in a fight, think to yourself, what sort of weapons is the opponent likely to have, and how can I use range to reduce his damage?

No comments:

Post a Comment