Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Ships I fly - The Jaguar - Redux

There was a very interesting fit linked to from one of the comments. Sard Card (of the occasionally updated Broadside bog) suggested I look at the fit from Alex Medvedov. This is the fit that Alex typically uses:

[Jaguar, Alex Medvedov's Jaguar]
Shield Power Relay II
Shield Power Relay II
Gyrostabilizer II

Gistii B-Type 1MN Afterburner
Medium Shield Extender II
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I
Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor I

200mm AutoCannon II, EMP S
200mm AutoCannon II, EMP S
200mm AutoCannon II, EMP S
Rocket Launcher II, Gremlin Rocket

Small Core Defence Field Extender II
Small Core Defence Field Extender II

What is interesting about this fit is that it is an AB fitted Jaguar with a heck of a passive shield recharge rate. Regretably I don't have the fitting skills (or the money) for it but came up with a reduced version of this ship swapping out a Shield Power Relay for a Power Diagnostic System, T1 rigs, and a T2 AB and took two of them out for a spin last night. I lost both of them to small blobs. It was nice having both a decent tank and the reacharg. In the first engagement against a Stabber, Rupture and an interdictor I was amazed at how long my shields lasted with about 25% shields. The peak recharge rate was doing wonders for my survivability.

However, I had a couple of issues taking advantage of this fit. Primarily the tracking is not very good. Without the Rifter tracking bonus the 200 mm Autocannons can be gotten under with a Claw as I found out. In the second encounter I engaged first one, then several interceptors simultaneously. Although I managed to nearly take down the claw it was able to get under my guns, and then when I tried to pull range to lower transversal, it got away in structure. This was compounded by a Tracking disruptor put on me by another interceptor which made my tracking worse. However I feel in a Rifter, or even with 125 mm guns I still could have been doing damage.

Anyways, it is an interesting fit that, once I have a few more skills, I will explore further. It is actually the first AB Jaguar fit that really appealed to me.

3 comments:

  1. Hah, congrats for giving the fit an honest go!

    Alex flies in Molden Heath, which is typically blob-lite environment. Certainly any fit is going to have trouble with multiple aggressors, but this one at least can stand up to several ships shooting it before requiring assistance.

    I definitely agree about the tracking, though I always found the web to be the deciding factor. TDs are going to skew that equation, but what are you going to do when you're flying alone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new Providence can be blobby but it is usually no so bad. In both cases I knew what I was up against when I engaged. First time was just over-suicidal even though I had my corp-mate in a Thorax helping me out. Second time my hope was to kill the claw by the time his friend in a Malediction (with TD apparently) showed up. Then kill the Malediction before the rest arrived. Didn't quite work out though :(. My lack of tracking really killed me since it prevented me from actually killing the claw by the time his friend arrived. And then it was just a matter of time for my tank to run out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a look at this, and was impressed with the passive regen. Absolutely beautiful. However, as you say, the tracking sucks with 200mm guns. I whored a little with EFT and came up with the following. It takes advantage of the capless minnie guns by adding a neut, which will wreak havoc on any active tanked ship and give you a good chance against even a Dramiel. It's a bit light on the dps, but makes up for it with the passive regen imo. Basically the same fit, but with smaller guns and a Neut instead:

    [Jaguar, Passive shield]
    Gyrostabilizer II
    Shield Power Relay II
    Shield Power Relay II

    1MN Afterburner II
    Medium Shield Extender II
    Warp Scrambler II
    Stasis Webifier II

    Small Unstable Power Fluctuator I
    150mm Light AutoCannon II, Barrage S
    150mm Light AutoCannon II, Barrage S
    150mm Light AutoCannon II, Barrage S

    Small Core Defence Field Extender I
    Small Core Defence Field Extender I

    ReplyDelete