Wednesday, September 12, 2012

R.I.P. Vile Rat

Ever since I started playing EVE there has been one dark thread that has permeated the game. As a Canadian living a middle class lifestyle working in IT I am about as far removed from the wars in Afghanistan, Iraq and the trouble in the Middle East. Although the Canadian Military went to war, the rest of Canada did not. Yet in EVE those wars are always in the background. I remember learning that two of the five members of the first Corp I was in were ex-us soldiers living on disability due to injuries and EVE was the only place they could hide from their broken bodies and PTSD. In my own current corp several  members have had to go AFG due to various deployments. I am sure there are many who have either blown my ship up, been on the receiving end of my autocannons, or just passed me in the night, whose accounts have gone dark, not because they got bored with the game, but rather they were killed in action or, sadly more likely, taken their own life due to the horrors suffered 'Over There'.

Hearing about the recent death of Vile Rat in a very troubling incident in Libya reminds us that while EVE is a pure dystopia, we all share a common bond. My heart goes out to his family, especially his children. It also goes out to the families of all EVE players who have died due to the events in the Middle-East and Asia over the last ten years. For those of you who are serving, have served, or live in those areas I would like to say that although I will try blow up your ship and pod you any chance I get, I consider you all my best of friends. I know that you all feel the same way.

Donations to his family can be made here...

No comments:

Post a Comment